Frontend & full-stack developer
I'm a Stanford-educated frontend & full-stack developer with a strong aesthetic sense, excellent UX / UI skills, and a wide range of experience, including:
Why hire me?
- I have a B.S. in Product Design from Stanford (Magna Cum Laude), graduated in the top 5% of engineering students, and received the Terman Award for Academic Excellence in Engineering.
- I'm comfortable designing, building, and deploying full-stack web apps, from the first
git initto polished
- I'm an excellent divergent thinker and creative problem solver.
- I'm a quick study, and pick up new languages and frameworks fast.
- I redesigned and re-architected a prototype MIT Energy Initiative decarbonization web app and brought it from rough alpha to polished beta launch.
- I have a solid technical background in math, physics, engineering, and Earth systems to complement my human-centered design and aesthetics skills.
- I'm emotionally intelligent, compassionate, and humble, and a great communicator, both oral and written, with training in Nonviolent Communication and 4+ years of living in self-organizing intentional communities.
- I love working on teams and co-creating amazing things together.
- I'm passionate about the Earth, the sacredness of all life, deep ecology, climate change, alternative energy, hyperlocal and well-being economies, permaculture, ecosystem restoration, and regenerative agriculture.
A reforestation simulator prototype that uses genetic algorithms to find optimal tree planting scenarios that maximize both carbon sequestration and biodiversity. Hand-built with SvelteKit, Tailwind, and multithreaded web workers.
This app plants different mixtures of temperate tree species on one acre of land, and then simulates 100 years of tree growth and self-seeding by calculating the sunlight available to each tree, with optional selective harvesting.
The goal is to find the initial makeup of tree species, and the frequency of harvesting, that leads to the highest sequestered carbon and biodiversity.
It runs multiple scenarios in parallel using multithreaded web workers, evolves successive generations using crossover and mutation, and stops after 20 generations.
MIT Energy Initiative
Lead Frontend Developer
SESAME Decarbonization Platform
June 2021 - Present
- Developed frontend of energy decarbonization web application using React, Gatsby, Tailwind, Typescript, and Cypress
- Brought frontend from rough alpha prototype to sleek, polished beta
- Designed and implemented intuitive and beautiful user interface, including interactive charts, form inputs, and complicated UI behavior
- Peformed code review of team members' pull requests to the frontend codebase
- Developed rapid UI mockups to present to research team
- Implemented end-to-end tests in Cypress to flag breaking changes before they got to the review team
- Worked with backend development team to develop APIs and schemata, and to integrate new analytical models into the UI
- Refactored existing brownfield codebase to reduce code duplication and bug potential, and streamline development
- Implemented Redux-style and atomic state manager patterns to speed up debugging and development, and eliminate race conditions
- Debugged and improved app rendering performance issues, stemming from multiple concurrent and overlapping API requests driving chart updates with large datasets, using custom equality functions and context instead of prop drilling
- Researched deployment scale-up options and presented a detailed feature matrix to the Head of Product
- Debugged and fixed AWS CodePipeline build errors and managed staging and production deployments
Co-Founder / CTO
Holistic Health Website
January 2012 - December 2021
- Built end-to-end full-stack architecture for CRM, online and mobile payments, subscription management, file downloads, product reviews, email campaigns and automation, analytics, and more using Meteor and Semantic UI
- Designed and built a beautiful, responsive, and fast Gatsby website using Tailwind, MDX, and React, with custom API data sourcing from a Meteor and MongoDB backend, bulk import and conversion of WordPress-exported XML data to YAML and Markdown using custom Node scripts, and more
- Built custom Gatsby & React comment system using Meteor and MongoDB, which compiles comments at build time to reduce DNS requests and page load time
- Leveraged functional programming heavily using Lodash and Underscore
- Performed cross-browser testing and optimization using BrowserStack
- Designed, built, grew, and maintained a holistic health website with 150,000+ pageviews per month, including frontend design, custom widgets, email capture, SEO, CRO / split testing, copywriting, research, and technical health writing in clearly-written, engaging, long-form articles
- Configured and maintained Ubuntu servers on Google Compute Engine and Linode using Docker and nginx
- Deployed, customized and managed a member-only forum using Discourse
- Performed graceful and helpful customer service for 9 years, including 6,000+ forum posts and 1,000+ emails sent
Co-Founder / CTO / Lead Full-Stack Developer
March 2014 - May 2016
- Designed and built a complete full-stack, human-centered, easy-to-use, HIPAA-compliant, Meteor-based web app for social workers to manage complex, overlapping recurring paperwork deadlines for large numbers of clients, with intuitive drag-and-drop functionality, and including different account permission levels and a custom recurring payment processing module
- Integrated and adapted design ideas gracefully from an on-the-ground social worker, with an iterative prototype/test/feedback cycle from concept to refinement to production-ready app
- Leveraged the power of Meteor to share database schemata and utility functions between frontend and backend, obviating a separately managed API layer and massively accelerating development
- Configured server environment on Google Compute Engine via Docker
Over the years
- Built a massively-parallel GPU-based VST audio synthesizer in OpenCL and C++, designed to mimic the sound quality of real stringed instruments
- Developed a self-evolving synthesizer using genetic algorithms with FFT-based fitness functions in C++ and Python
Get in Touch
Thanks for your message. I'll get back to you as soon as I can!